Fond farewells

June 22, 2006
Fond farewells
By Luke Eggleston/ SUN staff writer
SUN photo(s) Paul Finch
Four diocesan Catholic schools mark their last day

Cathedral School
In 1915, Cathedral Academy opened with roughly 183 students. The Daughters of Charity served as administrative and teaching staff until last year. Each year thereafter, a class was added from grade seven through 12. In 1923, the first graduating class had 16 girls and one boy. Next year, Cathedral School will combine with Our Lady of Pompei to form the Cathedral Academy at Pompei.
St. Ann’s School
Msgr. Francis Sheedy founded St. Ann’s in 1960. Among the notable graduates from St. Ann’s is former chairman of the Democratic National Committee Terry McAuliffe. Although St. Ann’s current students in kindergarten through sixth grade will merge with student bodies throughout Central New York, pre-K services will continue to be available. In a recent homily addressed to parishioners at St. Ann’s Church, many of whom attended the appended school, Father Joe Phillips said, “St. Ann’s is a student body, not a building. The legacy of our school is 1,500 students sent forth to make our world a better place, a world of compassion, faith and justice.” St. Patrick’s School

St. Patrick’s School opened Jan. 16, 1911 and had 210 students in its first four grades. Within a week of the school’s opening, enrollment swelled to such an extent that the school needed to add an additional grade. At the time, six Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet provided the school’s staff but by 1922 their numbers had increased to 23. In 1929, Bishop Daniel Curley ordered that the school add a high school. Among St. Patrick’s School’s notable alumni are Congressman Jim Walsh (R-Onondaga), former city councilman Marty Masterpole, county legislator Ed Ryan and former Syracuse mayor Tom Young. St. James School
Msgr. Francis Horrigan and Sister Cleephus, OSF, founded St. James School in 1954 in order to provide a parochial alternative for Catholic children in the Valley and in the suburban and rural communities south of the City of Syracuse. The school was originally staffed by the Sisters of St. Francis who inspired a legacy of Franciscan spirituality and academic excellence that runs through today, according to Principal Suzanne Donze.

Be the first to comment on "Fond farewells"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*