Sister M. Elissa Meehan, IHM, of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, died Friday, Oct. 24, 2014, at Our Lady of Peace Residence in Scranton, Pa.
She was born on May 20, 1912, in Carbondale, Pa., and given the name Mary Winifred. She was the daughter of the late Patrick and Sarah Giblin Meehan. She entered the IHM Congregation on Sept. 8, 1932, made her temporary profession of vows on April 30, 1935, and her final profession of vows on Aug. 1, 1938.
Sister Elissa served as a teacher at the following schools: St. John’s Elementary School in Pittston, Pa., from 1935 to 1938; St. Cecilia High School in Exeter, Pa., from 1938 to 1940; St. Leo High School in Ashley, Pa., from 1940 to 1946; Laurel Hill Academy in Susquehanna, Pa., from 1946 to 1950; St. Mary of the Mt. High School in Pittsburgh, Pa., from 1950 to 1953; Most Holy Rosary High School in Syracuse from 1953 to 1957; Immaculate Conception High School in Lock Haven, Pa., from 1957 to 1963; St. Ann High School in Scranton, Pa., from 1963 to 1964; South Scranton Catholic High School in Scranton, Pa., from 1964 to 1970; St. John the Evangelist High School in Pittston, Pa., from 1970 to 1978; and Bishop Hannon High School in Scranton, Pa., from 1978 to 1982.
Sister Elissa also served as small group instructor at Nativity of Our Lord Elementary School in Scranton, Pa., from 1982 to 1986; St. John the Evangelist Elementary School in Binghamton, from 1986 to 1988; Our Lady of Peace Elementary School in Clarks Green, Pa., from 1988 to 1990; IHM Education Enrichment Institute at the IHM Center in Scranton, from 1990 to 1996. She then served as an assistant in the IHM Art Studio in Scranton from 1996 to 2002.
From 2002 until the time of her death, Sister Elissa served as a prayer minister at the Marian Convent and Our Lady of Peace Residence in Scranton.
She received a Bachelor of Science degree in education from Marywood College and a Master of Arts degree in education from Villanova University.
She was preceded in death by four brothers, Robert, John, Paul, and Eugene, and a sister, Rose Smith. She is survived by several nieces and nephews and the members of the IHM congregation.
The funeral was held Oct. 28 at Our Lady of Peace Residence in Scranton. Interment followed Mass at St. Catherine’s Cemetery in Moscow, Pa.
Memorial contributions may be made to support the retired IHM Sisters c/o the IHM Sisters Retirement Fund, IHM Center, 2300 Adams Avenue, Scranton, PA 18509.