Pope Francis landed in Havana, Cuba Sept. 19, beginning a four-day visit to the island country. Here’s a look at the weekend’s events.
He then visited with both Fidel and Raul Castro. Very interesting gifts were exchanged. Read more here.
The day ended with the celebration of vespers, where the familiar themes of mercy and poverty were highlighted, and a talk to young people, where the pope encouraged dreaming and connection. Read more, see photos, and watch video here.
Here’s what the Holy Father will be doing on Monday. (See his complete Cuba and U.S. itinerary here.)
• 8 a.m.: Departure by air for Holguin, Cuba.
• 9:20 a.m.: Arrival at Holguin’s Frank Pais International Airport.
• 10:30 a.m.: Mass in Holguin’s Revolution Square. Homily by pope. (Watch live here at thecatholicsun.com.)
• 3:45 p.m.: Blessing of the city of Holguin from Cross Hill (Loma de la Cruz). (Watch live here at thecatholicsun.com.)
• 4:40 p.m.: Departure by air for Santiago de Cuba.
• 5:30 p.m.: Arrival at Santiago de Cuba’s Antonio Maceo International Airport.
• 7 p.m.: Meeting with bishops at the seminary of St. Basil the Great in El Cobre.
• 7:45 p.m.: Prayer to Our Lady of Charity with bishops and the papal entourage in the Minor Basilica of the Shrine of Our Lady of Charity of El Cobre.
Find the latest on the papal visit and the World Meeting of Families at thecatholicsun.com, syrdio.org, and youtube.com/user/syrdio; on Twitter @SyrCatholicSun, @SyrDiocese, and @SyrCatholicTV; and on Facebook at facebook.com/SyrCatholicSun, facebook.com/DioceseOfSyracuse, and facebook.com/SyracuseCTV.