“Faith Moves Mountains” is the theme of this year’s annual Day of Renewal for Separated and Divorced, to be held at Christ the King Retreat Center, 500 Brookford Rd., Syracuse, March 19.
“This is a Jubilee Year of Mercy as proclaimed by Pope Francis,” said Deacon Dean Brainard, coordinator of Ministry for Separated and Divorced in the diocesan Family Life Education Office. “Retreatants will find special grace and mercy in a warm and welcoming environment. No matter where a person is in the process there is sure to be a blessing here for you.”
The daylong retreat will include a keynote and liturgy offered by Father John Rose, numerous workshops addressing the issues that must be overcome through separation and divorce, and fellowship.
Workshops include the following:
• The Dating Game: Cynthia Fallon Zifchock has personally navigated the path through separation and divorce to being happily remarried. She will share her personal and professional experience to help orient you in the healing process and determine when the right time is to consider dating again. This workshop will provide you with the pitfalls of dating too soon and tips on how to prepare for a healthy relationship.
• Annulment as a Healing Process: Barbara Reiter from the Syracuse Tribunal will take you step-by-step through the annulment process and help you understand how this can be a healing process that moves you forward in your life journey. Reiter will cover recent changes in how the process is facilitated based on Pope Francis’ recent decree.
• Surviving the Climb: Deacon Dean Brainard will unpack the resources you need to be sure to carry along with you on your trek through separation and divorce. Brainard’s experience as coordinator of ministry outreach will help you overcome the obstacles you may currently be facing and prepare for your approach to “the summit.”
• Helping Our Children: Anne Hughes and Jeff and Casey Calvey will team up to facilitate a discussion that centers on how we can help our children stay afloat through separation and divorce. Their personal experiences raising their children through separation and divorce will bring strength, hope and valuable insights.
• Healing Through Journaling: Annamary Zappia will help you make empowering commitments through creative journaling. You will be equipped with all the tools to think creatively outside the box to solve problems, be positive and see the beauty on the path ahead.
Registration is $45 and includes lunch and workshops. Scholarships are available. To register, contact Deacon Dean Brainard at (315) 472-6754, x5, or firstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more at syracusediocese.org/offices/family-life-education.