Bishop Douglas J. Lucia has accepted the recommendation to unify Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Utica, and Our Lady of the Rosary Church, New Hartford, as one parish with a new name: Mary, Mother of Our Savior Parish. Bishop Lucia believes the name is representative of the theological background contained in the individual titles of the two churches.
Our Lady of Lourdes and Our Lady of the Rosary have been canonically linked for four years and representatives of each church have been meeting for several months to create a plan to form one unified parish. Father Joseph Salerno, who is currently pastor of both churches, will continue as pastor of the new parish. Both church buildings will remain; the administration of the two churches will be combined in the fall.
Father Salerno announced the new parish name to parishioners the weekend of Aug. 14-15 at all Masses. For more information, contact Father Salerno at (315) 724-3155 or Chancellor Danielle E. Cummings at (315) 470-1476.