Sister Marylyn Harding, IHM, of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, died on Dec. 13, 2014 at Our Lady of Peace Residence in Scranton, Pa.
She was born on Nov. 30, 1915, in West Pittston, Pa., and was the daughter of the late John and Ellen Earley Harding. She entered the IHM Congregation on Sept. 8, 1933, and made her temporary profession of vows on April 30, 1936, and her final profession of vows on Aug. 1, 1939.
Sister Marylyn received a bachelor of arts degree in education from Marywood College and a master of arts degree in Latin and Greek at the Catholic University of America. She served as a teacher at the following schools: St. Bernardine Elementary School in Baltimore, Md., from 1936 to 1944; St. Mary Elementary School in Goldsboro, N.C., from 1944 to 1948; Immaculate Conception Elementary School in Lock Haven, Pa., from 1948 to 1949; St. Patrick Elementary School in Oneida, N.Y., from 1949 to 1950; St. Leo High School in Ashley, Pa., from 1950 to 1953; Nativity of our Lord Elementary School in Scranton, Pa., from 1953 to 1955; St. Mary High School in Manhasset, N.Y., from 1955 to 1963; Central Catholic High School in Kingston, Pa., 1963 to 1967; Marywood Seminary High School in Scranton, Pa., from 1967 to 1970 where she also served as principal; Maria Regina Diocesan High School in Uniondale, N.Y., from 1970 to 1979; and St. Dominic High School in Oyster Bay, N.Y., from 1979 to 1982.
Sister also served as a nursing assistant at the Marian Convent in Scranton from 1982 to 2002 and as a volunteer at the IHM Center in Scranton, from 2002 to 2006. From 2006 until the time of her death, Sister Marylyn was a prayer minister at Our Lady of Peace Residence in Scranton.
Sister Marylyn is survived by nieces and nephews and members of the IHM congregation. She was preceded in death by two brothers, John and James; and four sisters, Gertrude Ross, Dorothy Lynch, Helen Wynne, and Agnes McDermott.
A funeral was held on Wednesday, Dec. 17 at Our Lady of Peace Residence in Scranton. Interment followed at St. Catherine’s Cemetery in Moscow, Pa.
Memorial contributions may be made to support the retired IHM Sisters c/o the IHM Sisters Retirement Fund, IHM Center, 2300 Adams Avenue, Scranton, Pa., 18509.