Sister Barbara Lorraine D’Auria, IHM, (formerly known as Sister M. Darius) of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, died on Sunday, Feb. 3, at Our Lady of Peace Residence in Scranton.
She was born on Oct. 4, 1933, in Nyack, N.Y., the daughter of the late Samuel Michael and Florence Josephine Natale D’Auria. She entered the IHM Congregation on Sept. 8, 1951, and made her temporary profession of vows on Aug. 2, 1954, and her final profession of vows on Aug. 2, 1957. She received a bachelor of science degree in education from Marywood College.
Among other assignments, Sister Barbara served as a teacher at Most Holy Rosary Elementary School in Syracuse from 1983 to 1984. She also taught in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Poughkeepsie, and North Carolina. From 2012 until the time of her death, Sister Barbara was a prayer minister at Our Lady of Peace Residence.
She was preceded in death by a sister, Carol A. Sullivan, and a brother, Peter. She is survived by three brothers, John, of Lakeland, Fla.; David M., of Columbia, Md.; and Samuel, of West Henrietta, N.Y.; a sister, Deborah, of North Carolina; a brother-in-law, Cornelius Sullivan, of Ayer, Mass.; and nieces and nephews.
The Feb. 7 Mass of Christian Burial was followed by interment at St. Catherine’s Cemetery in Moscow, Pa.
Memorial contributions may be made to support the retired IHM Sisters c/o the IHM Sisters Retirement Fund, IHM Center, 2300 Adams Avenue, Scranton, Pa. 18509.