Here’s a look at some of the stories making headlines today:
• Pope Francis has designated Sept. 1 as World Day of Prayer for Care of Creation. Quoting his encyclical, he said, “living our vocation to be protectors of God’s handiwork is essential to a life of virtue; it is not an optional or a secondary aspect of our Christian experience.”
• Pope Francis also called for a ban on nuclear weapons as the 70th anniversary of the U.S. bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were marked.
• Two small teams of unlikely craftsmen are creating the altar, ambo and presider’s chair Pope Francis will use when he celebrates Mass at Madison Square Garden Sept. 25.
• Forgiveness is at the heart of healing after the violence in Ferguson, Archbishop Robert J. Carlson of St. Louis said Aug. 9. He celebrated a Mass commemorating the first anniversary of the shooting death of Michael Brown, an African American teen, in a confrontation with a white police officer.
• The Men in Black took on Divine Mercy yesterday in the annual vocations softball game. Find out who won and see more photos here.
• Calling all diocesan tech geeks, social media buffs and those who want to be: Tech Day 2.0 is Aug. 18! This day of expert workshops is totally free and very informative. Find out more and register here.
See you back here tomorrow for the day’s headlines. In the meantime, visit www.thecatholicsun.com throughout the day for the latest local, national, and international Catholic news, and be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter.