See you back here tomorrow for the day’s headlines. In the meantime, visit www.thecatholicsun.com throughout the day for the latest local, national, and international Catholic news, and be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Here’s a look at some of the stories making headlines today:
• Boston Cardinal Sean P. O’Malley said that Planned Parenthood officials’ videotaped descriptions of how fetal tissue and organs are procured for researchers during abortions illustrates what Pope Francis calls today’s “throwaway culture.” (Ross Douthat also weighs in with his opinion over at the New York Times.)
• Speaking of op-eds: New York Cardinal Timothy Dolan criticizes Trump’s anti-immigrant rhetoric in the New York Daily News.
• Via Crux: If you want to take the train to see the pope in Philly, you’re going to need to win the lottery.
• A box believed to be a Catholic artifact was found at the site of Jamestown’s historic 1608 church. Four men were buried at the site: Rev. Robert Hunt, Sir Ferdinando Wainman, Capt. William West and Capt. Gabriel Archer, on top of whose coffin was resting the silver box. Was he practicing the Catholic faith in secret?
• Gretchen Matt, youth minister for St. Vincent de Paul Blessed Sacrament in Vestal and St. Patrick’s and St. Thomas Aquinas in Binghamton, is profiled at pressconnects.com/the Press & Sun Bulletin by Sun contributing writer Deacon Tom Picciano.
• Tech Day 2.0, the latest version of the diocese’s technology conference, will be released August 18 at Our Lady of Sorrows in Vestal.