Sister Marion Rypski, CSJ, 95, died Aug. 12 at St. Joseph’s Provincial House, Latham. She had been a Sister of St. Joseph of Carondelet for the past 77 years.
Sister Marion, the former Agnes Sophie Rypski, was born on June 8, 1920, in Syracuse, daughter of the late Joseph and Mary Dombrowski Rypski.
After graduating from Solvay High School, she entered the novitiate of the Sisters of St. Joseph on March 19, 1938 and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1943.
Sister Marion received a bachelor’s degree in commerce and a master’s degree in business education, both from The College of Saint Rose. She taught for 37 years in schools of the Albany and Syracuse Dioceses; was a clerical worker at Loretto Geriatric Center in Syracuse; and served as a receptionist and volunteer for several years at the Carondelet Music Center, Latham. In addition, Sister Marion was the provincial superior for the Sisters of St. Joseph from 1965 to 1971.
Sister Marion was a lovely, gracious woman who blessed the lives of all who knew her. Her inner strength and depth of character, combined with her natural business acumen, marked Sister Marion as a woman of competence, skill and commitment. Her years of ministry demonstrated Sister Marion’s deep gratitude to God for her many gifts of nature and grace, and her final years of suffering from illness revealed her courage and trust in God’s providence. Sister Marion leaves a legacy of devotion to family, dedication to community, fidelity to prayer and zeal in service. She will be remembered with great fondness and love.
Sister Marion is survived by two nephews: Stanley (Mary) Stankiewicz of New Carrollton, Md.; and Frank (Joanne) Swiderski of Colorado Springs, Colo., and their families; many dear friends; and the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet. In addition to her parents, Sister Marion was predeceased by her sisters: Helen (Frank) Swiderski and Ann (Bill) Stankiewicz.
Sister Marion’s funeral was held Aug. 17, at the chapel of St. Joseph’s Provincial House, Latham. Contributions in Sister Marion’s memory may be made to the Development Office of the Sisters of St. Joseph, 385 Watervliet-Shaker Road, Latham, N.Y. 12110.